July 14, 2011

ESPYs and Emmys


I just want to chime in here quickly about last night’s ESPYs and today’s Emmy nominations.  Regarding the ESPYs, I wasn’t expecting much, and was actually pleasantly surprised by the results.  The problem with the ESPYs is that it’s done by a fan vote, and most fans don’t vote based on statistics or and form of reality, but whatever they like or think is cool.  Case in point, Blake Griffin winning breakout athlete of the year over Arian Foster who led the NFL in rushing yards and TDs or Jose Bautista who easily has the highest OPS in the entire MLB.  Griffin on the other hand was 15th in Player Efficiency Rating (it’s not a perfect stat, but it is the most comprehensive), while playing for an under .400 team.  On the other hand, he can jump really high, so I guess you have to take that into consideration.  The other winner I disagree with is Rory McIlroy, who won best male golfer and best record-breaking performance, neither of which he deserves.  He’s a great golfer, and will likely be deserving of these awards in the future, but he’s only won 2 PGA events in his life, and has never been ranked better than 4 in the world.  And his record-breaking performance is all relative: he did it in the lowest scoring US Open of all time (Don’t have time to look that up right now, but pretty certain it’s true.  Correct me if I’m wrong); scoring -16 when ten players were -4 or better doesn’t even compare to something like Tiger’s 2000 performance when he was -12 and the next best was +3.  The thing is, the PGA wants a new Tiger so badly, that everyone is caught up in believing McIlroy is already the greatest thing on earth.  I can’t believe I’m actually going to argue for the merits of Women’s basketball in my lifetime, but the Uconn Ladies team really deserved this record due in part to a pretty weak year for records.  My final complaint goes to ESPN, who when nominating male athletes of the year did not nominate a single of the 5 MVP winners across the four major sports.  I understand the playoffs are the most important, but how about giving credit to the players who kept it together for an entire season instead of getting hot for a few weeks?  Nowitzki wasn’t a bad pick for the win though.
Emmy time.  I’m admittedly not a big TV watcher, although I must say I think the medium is hitting a new golden age now that they’ve replaced most of the reality TV with real shows, or at least moved them off to fringe channels.  I don’t know how “The Office” was nominated for best comedy after it’s precipitous decline in quality in the last few seasons (Especially if they didn’t think it was worth a win back when it really was the best comedy on television.  I would’ve liked to have seen “Community” or “Louie” in its spot (or both of them and no “Big Bang Theory”).  Drama nominations seem fine, and I’d love to see “Boardwalk Empire” pick that one up, though they’re all pretty deserving.  Male lead in a drama should be interesting this year as Bryan Cranston is finally letting someone else have a chance due to “Breaking Bad’s” late start (Kind of wish Sean Bean was nominated for “Game of Thrones”).  As for male lead in a comedy, I don’t know why Louie C.K. is up there.  I love Louie C.K. but I think even he’d agree that his show isn’t great because of his acting.  He’s not bad, but he really should have had a show nomination and not an acting nomination.  As for the rest, I really don’t care.  Just some thoughts.  I’ll have a real post on later tonight.

BV

No comments:

Post a Comment